March 5, 2019
The IRS sponsors two free tax preparation programs to people with lower and moderate incomes:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance: VITA offers free tax return preparation for eligible taxpayers who generally earn $55,000 or less.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly: TCE Offers service to all taxpayers but, focuses on tax issues unique to seniors.
Some additional details about these programs:
- Most sites around the country are open now.
- VITA and TCE provide free electronic filing.
- Certified volunteers help you get all your eligible the tax benefits.
- Some sites provide bilingual assistance.
- Volunteers can help with military tax topics.
- You may be able to prepare your own tax returns.