January 9, 2020
If you’re filing a tax return for the first time and made $69,000 or less, IRS Free File might be perfect for you.
How it works:
- Go to the Free File page of IRS.gov.
- Use the look up tool and find the Free File option that's right for you.
- Select a provider and follow the links to begin your tax return.
What first-time filers need to get started:
- Your Social Security number.
- Information from your W-2 or Form 1099.
- Documentation for all tax credits and deductions.
- Whether your parents are claiming you as a dependent or not.
If you file electronically and are over 16, enter 0 for prior-year income.