Ways to check your withholding on IRS.gov


Notice: Historical Content

This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current law, policies or procedures.

June 5, 2019

The best way to do a Paycheck Checkup is to use the Withholding Estimator. However, you may need to use Publication 505.

Withholding Estimator

  • The Withholding Estimator helps you check if you need to adjust your withholding.
  • Use the results from the estimator to complete Form W-4 and adjust withholding.
  • If you receive pension income, use the results to complete a Form W-4PPDF, and give it to your payer.
  • You can use the Withholding Estimator to determine if you should pay estimated tax.

Publication 505

  • If you have a more complex situation, you may need to use the instructions in Publication 505.
  • This includes those who owe self-employment tax, the alternative minimum tax, tax on unearned income by dependents or receive non-wage income.