In order to improve service on our website, determine which information the public finds most useful, and detect any potentially malicious activity, we automatically collect and maintain the following information about your visit:
- Domain from which you access the Internet (for example, 'xcompany.com' if you use a private Internet access account; 'yourschool.edu' if you connect from an educational domain; or, 'agency.gov' if you connect from a U.S. government domain);
- Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- Date and time (with time zone) of access;
- Type of browser and operating system you use to access irs.gov;
- Internet address of the website that linked you to irs.gov (such as Google or Bing);
- Web pages onirs.gov that you visit;
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) packet data;
- Session cookie ID. This helps us determine which sequences of pages users typically view. We use this information to make the site easier to use.
- Other cookies used to validate voluntary customer survey results. These are of limited duration and cannot be used to identify survey participants or track their page or web site visits.
- Visitor Display Color Depth (e.g., 32 bits, 24 bits, etc.) and Visitor Screen Resolution (e.g., 1024 x 768 pixels, 800 x 600 pixels, etc.);
- Number of bytes received (which helps determine the computer and network capacity required to make the site available to the public).
This information does not individually identify the persons who visit irs.gov.
IRS uses Google Analytics measurement software to collect the information listed above. The data is automatically sent to Google’s system and the system immediately aggregates the data. Neither IRS nor Google ever have access to the specifics of your particular site visits.
The Department gathers this information to improve our web sites and has chosen to not share they aggregate data with Google. We may use the aggregated data to share with our partners and contractors to help improve visitor experiences.
All of this data is retained for a minimum of 90 days to comply with federal record-keeping requirements, and is then deleted. Collection and analysis of this information in the aggregate will enable us to enhance site performance, improve informational materials available on our website, and improve overall customer service.