September 30, 2015 Edition
Set up a retirement plan – did you know any company can set up a plan?
Watch IRS video on low-cost, low-maintenance, SEP, SIMPLEs and Payroll Deduction IRAs
Adopt your 401(k), profit-sharing or other defined contribution pre-approved retirement plan by April 30, 2016
Take your first required minimum distribution from your IRA (including SEP and SIMPLE IRAs) by April 1 after the calendar year you turn 70½
Fix your 403(b) plan mistakes
- Compare your written plan to its operation – if these conflict, fix it
- Give all employees of the organization the opportunity to make a salary deferral – if you didn’t,
Review Form 5500-EZ Instructions under “Who Must File Form 5500-EZ” for filing requirements
Mark your calendar – see upcoming retirement plan deadlines
Read this before you take a loan from your 401(k) plan
July 31, 2015 Edition
The IRS and Treasury intend to amend the minimum distribution regulations for defined benefit plans to generally prohibit the replacement of ongoing annuity payments with a lump sum payment or any other form of accelerated payment.
Employee Plans email questions - Beginning October 1, Employee Plans will no longer accept technical questions through email or from Customer Account Services.
Changes to the Employee Plans Determination Letter Program - Starting in 2017, the IRS will eliminate the staggered remedial amendment cycles and limit the scope of the determination letter program for individually designed plans.
July 6, 2015 Edition
IRS Nationwide Tax Forums – Attend retirement plans session on SEP and SIMPLE IRA plans
Form 5500 series:
- Changes to Forms 5500 for 2014 – Form 5500 line items
- Penalty Relief Program for Form 5500-EZ Late Filers
- Use participants’ correct compensation for SEP contributions
- Revised procedures remind plan sponsors they have flexibility in handling overpayment errors
- Sponsoring a 403(b) plan - make sure you have your 501(c)(3) status or meet another eligibility requirement
- New lower fees for correcting some plan errors
Retirement savings tips:
- Mark your calendar – retirement plan deadlines
The Retirement News for Employers is a periodic newsletter with retirement plan information for employers and business owners – and their tax advisors from Employee Plans (Tax Exempt and Government Entities (TE/GE) at the IRS).
It is permissible to reproduce our newsletter. We ask that you place a note stating that (1) It is a publication of the IRS Employee Plans, and (2) The presence of IRS material does not constitute or imply the endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the IRS of any opinions, products, or services offered by the sponsor of this web page or document.