Help During Disasters


We know that major disasters and emergencies in your area will affect many families and businesses. While we hope you are spared any loss, we realize this may not be true for everyone, and we want to let you know how the IRS can help.

If you have damaged or lost property in a location declared by the President as a major disaster area, you may be able to get some money back from the IRS right now. Learn more by reviewing Tax Relief in Disaster Situations.

To qualify for disaster loans and grants from other federal agencies, you must have filed all required tax return(s). If you have not filed, we can help you get the information you need to prepare your return(s). If you have moved and need to notify the IRS of your new address then submit a change of address.

If we have recently contacted you about taxes you owe, but because of the emergency you need more time to pay, please let us know. Free tax assistance is also available at many Internal Revenue Service Offices and temporary FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers in your area.

If you have been impacted by a federally declared disaster, you may receive copies or transcripts of previously filed tax returns free of charge by submitted Form 4506, Request for Copy or Transcript of Tax Form, clearly identified as a disaster related request. This and other helpful forms and publications are available for download from this site.

For additional information on other federal assistance, or for current news releases and situation reports covering a disaster, be sure to visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Please share this information with family, friends, and co-workers.