IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Changed Your Name After Marriage or Divorce? (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, I’m Maria and I work for the IRS. 
If you changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce or for some other reason, you'll need to register the change with the Social Security Administration, also known as the SSA, before you file your tax return.
That’s because names that don't match can cause problems when we process your return.
This could delay your refund.
To update your records, use Form SS-5, which is the application for a Social Security card.
You can get it from the Social Security Administration’s website at  
You can also get it from your local Social Security office.

Whether you file Form SS-5 at your local Social Security office or by mail, you will need to provide documentation of your legal name change, such as an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate.
For more information, check out our website at

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 09-Sep-2015