IRS Logo

Gift Tax (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, I’m Jeshal and I work for the IRS.
If you gave money or property to someone as a gift, you, the giver, may need to file a federal Gift Tax Return.
But that’s only if your gift was more than $13,000 in 2011 or 2012.
If it was, then you’ll probably need to file a Gift Tax Return, even though you might not owe any Gift Tax.
There are some exceptions though.
For example, if the gift was given to your spouse or a charity, then you may not need to file a Gift Tax Return. 
You also may not need to file a Gift Tax Return if you paid someone's medical expenses or tuition directly to the facility.  
You can learn more about this and other details by reading Publication 950, the Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes.
You can find it at

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 19-Mar-2013