Ten Helpful Tips for Paying Your Taxes
IRS Tax Tip 2013-55, April 15, 2013
Are you making a payment with your federal tax return this year? If so, here are 10 important things the IRS wants you to know about correctly paying your federal income taxes.
- Never send cash.
- If you file electronically, you can file and pay in a single step with an electronic funds withdrawal. If you e-file by yourself you can use your tax preparation software to make the withdrawal. If you use a tax preparer to e-file, you can ask the preparer to make your tax payment electronically.
- Whether you file a paper return or e-file your return, you can pay by phone or online with a credit or debit card. The company that processes your payment will charge a processing fee.
- If you file Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, you may be able to deduct the credit or debit card processing fee on next year’s return. This is a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2 percent limit.
- Electronic payment options provide another way to pay taxes by check or money order. You can make payments 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Visit IRS.gov and click on the ‘Payments’ tab near the top left of the home page for more details.
- If you pay by check or money order, make sure it is payable to the “United States Treasury.”
- Be sure to write your name, address and daytime phone number on the front of your payment. Also, write the tax year, form number you are filing and the first Social Security number listed on your tax return.
- Complete Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher, and include it with your tax return and payment when mailing it to the IRS. Double-check the IRS mailing address. This will help the IRS process your payment accurately and efficiently. Go to IRS.gov to download and print this form.
- Remember to enclose your payment with your return but do not staple it to any tax form.
- For more information, call 800-829-4477 and select TeleTax Topic 158, Ensuring Proper Credit of Payments. You can also find out more in the Form 1040-V instructions available at IRS.gov.
Additional IRS Resources:
- IRS Free File
- E-file Options
- Electronic Payment Options Home Page
- Payments (payment options)
- Form 1040-V, Payment Voucher
- Tax Topic 158 - Ensuring Proper Credit of Payments
IRS YouTube Videos:
- IRS Tax Payment Options - English | Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- IRS Tax Payment Options - English | Spanish (Obsolete)