IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Split Refunds – Savings Bonds (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, my name is Jim and I work for the IRS.
Chances are, you’re going to get a refund this year.
Most taxpayers do.
The average refund is more than $2,000.  And did you know that you can split the refund three ways when you file your tax return?
Meaning, you can put some of it in your checking account, some in your savings account, or some in other accounts, such as an individual retirement arrangement -- also known as an IRA.
And for the first time, you can use your refund to buy U.S. Savings Bonds.
So, if you e-file, which most of you do, choose direct deposit.

When your tax software asks if you want to split your refund, you have the option to buy your bonds then.
If you file by paper, use Form 8888. It’ll tell you what to do.

Learn more on

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 18-Dec-2014