IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

What if my 401(k) drops in value?

Generally, you can not claim a capital gains loss on your retirement accounts that already are receiving favorable tax treatment. The only time you would have a loss is when you receive a distribution that had previously been taxed. For more information, see About Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income.

Return to What If?


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 17-Sep-2015