IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Can I Deduct Personal Taxes That I Pay as an Itemized Deduction on Schedule A?

ITA Home

This interview will help you determine if personal taxes you paid are deductible as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040).

This topic doesn't address taxes that are related to business or rental property. For information regarding business taxes, please see Publication 535, Business Expenses. For information regarding taxes related to rental property, please see Publication 527, Residential Rental Property (Including Rental of Vacation Homes).

Information You'll Need:

  • Your filing status
  • Type of tax paid

The tool is designed for use by taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring about. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated Completion Time: 15 minutes; however, after 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Please Note: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Feb-2017