IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Can I or My Spouse Claim Part of a Refund Being Applied Toward a Debt Owed by the Other Spouse?

This interview will help you decide if you should file a claim for part of a refund that was jointly applied toward a spouse's past due debt for which you weren't responsible (federal/state tax, child/spousal support, student loan, etc.).

It doesn't cover filing a claim under the Innocent Spouse program. An innocent spouse is someone who filed a joint return but believes the tax should be paid by the other/former spouse because the other/former spouse omitted or erroneously reported income, deductions, etc. The innocent spouse is claiming that he or she didn't know what the other/former spouse was up to. Refer to Publication 971, Innocent Spouse Relief, for more information on this topic.

Estimated Completion Time: 5 minutes.

Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.


Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 16-Sep-2016