Counterterrorism Financing Activities - Criminal Investigation (CI)
In support of the national effort to fight terrorism, IRS Criminal Investigation (CI) continues to devote resources to:
- Liaison with the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) National Joint Terrorism Task Force (NJTTF), the Joint Terrorism Task Forces (JTTF), Terrorism Financing Operations Section (TFOS) and their National Domestic Terrorism Squad, Special Operations Division (SOD), Special Operations Command (SOCOM), El Paso Intelligence Center (EPIC), Frivolous Argument (FRAG) program, as well as state and local law enforcement.
- Consult with Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets control (OFAC) and provide relevant insight to the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), an inter-governmental policy making body to combat money laundering and terrorist financing.
- Provide financial investigative assistance in terrorism matters to include the investigation of money laundering, tax violations and the use of tax exempt organizations to raise money to support foreign terrorist groups. CI’s Counterterrorism Center (CTC-IRS) provides financial research and analysis to support ongoing investigations and identify terrorist financing activities.
- Provide assistance to terrorism investigations regarding the facilitation of emergency disclosure of 6103 information.
- Provide computer investigative specialist (CIS) assistance to terrorist investigations.
- Provide security for government buildings and employees as necessary and appropriate.
For more information, see IRS Criminal Investigation Responds to Terrorism