IRS Offers Easy-to-Use Online Tools
IRS Summertime Tax Tip 2015-17, August 10, 2015 Español
When you need tax help, the IRS has many online tools that are easy to use. You can e-file your tax return free, check your refund’s status or get your tax questions answered. Use our tools on IRS.gov any time of day or night. Here’s a list of popular self-help tools that millions have used to get free tax help:
- IRS Free File. You can use IRS Free File to prepare and e-file your federal tax return for free. Free File will do much of the work for you with brand-name tax software or Fillable Forms. If you still need to file your 2014 tax return, Free File is available through Oct. 15. The only way to use IRS Free File is through the IRS website.
- Where’s My Refund? Checking the status of your tax refund is easy when you use Where's My Refund? You can also use this tool with the IRS2Go mobile app.
- Direct Pay. Use IRS Direct Pay to pay your tax bill or pay your estimated tax directly from your checking or savings account. Direct Pay is safe, easy and free. The tool walks you through five simple steps to pay your tax in one online session. You can also use Direct Pay with the IRS2Go mobile app.
- Online Payment Agreement. If you can’t pay your taxes in full, apply for an Online Payment Agreement. The Direct Debit payment plan option is a lower-cost hassle-free way to pay your tax each month.
- Withholding Calculator. Did you get a larger refund or owe more tax than you expected the last time you filed your tax return? If so, you may want to change the amount of tax withheld from your paycheck. The Withholding Calculator tool can help you determine if you need to give your employer a new Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. The tool can also help you fill out the form. Give the new form to your employer to make the change.
- Interactive Tax Assistant. If you need to know about 2014 taxes, you should try the Interactive Tax Assistant tool to get what you need. If you do not have qualifying health insurance coverage, the tool can help. For instance, you can find out if you must make an individual shared responsibility payment or if you are eligible for an exemption, when you file your income tax return. You can also use the tool to find out if you are eligible for the premium tax credit.
- IRS Select Check. If you want to deduct your gift to charity, the organization you give to must be qualified. Use the IRS Select Check tool to see if a group is qualified.
- Tax Map. The IRS Tax Map gives you a single point to get tax law information by subject. It integrates your topic with related tax forms, instructions and publications into one research tool.
IRS YouTube Videos:
- Welcome to Free File – English (Obsolete)
- When Will I Get My Refund? – English | Spanish | ASL
- IRS2Go 5.0 – English | Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- IRS Tax Payment Options – English | Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- Online Payment Agreement – English | Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- IRS Withholding Calculator – English | Spanish | ASL (Obsolete)
- Help for Taxpayers – English | ASL (Obsoleted)
- Interactive Tax Assistant – English | ASL
- When Will I Get My Refund – English | Spanish
- IRS2Go 5.0 – English | Spanish (Obsoleted)
- IRS Tax Payment Options – English | Spanish (Obsolete)
- Online Payment Agreement – English | Spanish (Obsolete)
- IRS Withholding Calculator – English | Spanish (Obsolete)
- Help for Taxpayers – English (Obsoleted)
- Interactive Tax assistant -- English