IRS Updates IRS2Go Smartphone App
IRS Special Edition Tax Tip 2015-02, February 20, 2015
The IRS recently released IRS2Go 5.0, an update to the only official IRS smartphone application. The free mobile app is compatible with both Apple and Android devices. This new version offers a number of safe and secure ways for you to use other popular IRS tools. The IRS app also helps you get the most up-to-date tax information and allows you to:
- Get Your Refund Status. You can check the status of your federal tax refund through IRS2Go. Enter your Social Security number - which the app will mask and encrypt for security purposes. Select your filing status and enter the amount of your refund from your 2014 tax return.
- Find Free Tax Preparation Assistance. The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs offer free tax help for those who qualify. This tool within IRS2Go will help you find the nearest volunteer tax help site. You can enter your ZIP code to search, or search based on your current location to find the closest help site locations along with directions to the sites and other details.
- Stay Connected. You can get the latest federal tax news by following the IRS on Twitter or Tumblr. You can also watch helpful videos on the IRS YouTube channel. Mobile app users can subscribe to receive IRS Tax Tips. The IRS issues Tax Tips daily during the tax season and three times a week in the summer. Special Edition Tax Tips highlight important topics throughout the year.
Download IRS2Go 5.0 free of charge from the Google Play Store for Android devices or from the Apple App Store for Apple devices. IRS2Go is available in both English and Spanish. Users who downloaded past versions of IRS2Go should update their devices with the most current version of the app.
If you found this Tax Tip helpful, please share it through your social media platforms. A great way to get tax information is to use IRS Social Media. You can also subscribe to IRS Tax Tips or any of our e-news subscriptions.
IRS You Tube Video:
- IRS2Go 5.0 – English | Spanish | ASL (Obsoleted)
- IRS2Go 5.0 – English | Spanish (Obsoleted)