IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Moving Expenses (ASL) - YouTube video text script

Hi, I’m Thomas, and I work for the IRS. 
Have you recently moved because of a change in your job location?
If so, you may be able to deduct certain expenses from your income and lower your tax bill.
These include the cost of transporting your belongings and the cost of traveling from your old home to your new one.
You can deduct moving expenses if they were incurred within one year from the date you first reported to work at the new job, and the distance from your new home must be shorter than the distance from your old home to the new job.
Also, your new job must be at least 50 miles farther than your old job was from your old home.
In other words, moving across the state or across the country will usually qualify.
But a cross-town move usually will not.
Finally, you must meet a time test.
That means you must work a minimum of 39 weeks in the first year after you moved to your new location.
Different rules apply to members of the armed forces, retirees or survivors of someone who was working outside of the United States, and who are now moving back.
For more details on moving expenses, check out our Publication 521.
You can find it on our website at

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 09-Feb-2017