Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Free File: What You Need to Get Started
Personal Information You Need
- A copy of last year's tax return in order to access your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
- Valid Social Security numbers for yourself and your spouse, if applicable
- Valid Social Security numbers for your dependents, if applicable
Income and Receipts
- Social Security benefits
- Unemployment Compensation
- All receipts pertaining to your small business, if applicable
- Income receipts from rental, real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporation, trusts
- W-2s, showing your annual wages from all of your employers
- Forms 1099-INT, showing interest paid to you throughout the year
- Form 1099-G, showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
- Forms 1099-DIV and Forms 1099-R, showing dividends and distributions from retirement and other plans paid to you during the year
- Form 1095A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
- Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
- Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemption and ECN
- Verify your identity by using your 2015 AGI. If you created a 2015 personal identification number, that will work too. The personal identification number required that you create a five-digit PIN that could be any five numbers (except all zeros) that you choose which serves as your electronic signature.
- Don't have your AGI or PIN? If you do not have a copy of your 2015 tax return, you may use the IRS Get Transcript self-help tool to get a Tax Return Transcript showing your AGI.
- Use Get Transcript Online to immediately view your AGI. You must pass the Secure Access. identity verification process. Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.
- Use Get Transcript Online or call 800-908-9946 if you cannot pass Secure Access. and need to request a Tax Return Transcript. Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery. Use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.
- To get a notification from the Free File software company that your return was accepted by IRS, you need a valid email address
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 11-Jan-2017