How to get advance child tax credit payments if you don’t have a bank account

August 17, 2021

Even if you don't normally file a tax return and don't have a bank account, you can still get advance Child Tax Credit payments, if you qualify. The only way for the IRS to know if you're eligible, the amount of your payments and where to send them, is for you to register using the IRS Non-filer Sign-up tool.

If you would like to have your payments direct deposited, many financial institutions will help you open a low-cost or no-cost bank account.

Visit the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDCI) website for details on opening an account online or use the FDIC's BankFind tool to locate an FDIC-insured bank.

BankOn, American Bankers Association, Independent Community Bankers of America and the National Credit Union Administration have lists of banks and credit unions that can open an account online.

If you're a veteran, see the Veterans Benefits Banking Program for financial services at participating banks.