Experiencing homelessness? You can still receive advance child tax credit payments

August 17, 2021

The advance Child Tax Credit provides early payments of the 2021 tax credit you may qualify to claim, even if you don't normally file a tax return. You don't need to have income to qualify. To receive these monthly payments you must have a qualifying child. Also, you or your spouse must have your main home in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia for more than half the year.

In addition to a house, apartment or mobile home, a qualifying home can also be a shelter, temporary lodging or other location. It doesn't need to be the same physical location throughout the year.

You can use the IRS's Eligibility Assistant to see if you're eligible and the Non-filer Sign-up Tool to submit basic information if you aren't required to file a tax return. If you don't have a bank account and want direct deposit payments, the IRS's frequently asked questions have resources to help you.