Exempt Organizations - Help from the IRS
You may get help with questions about tax-exempt organizations and tax-exempt status from the IRS Exempt Organizations Division:
EO Web Site [ www.irs.gov/eo]
IRS TE/GE Customer Service
You may direct technical and procedural questions concerning charities and other nonprofit organizations, including questions about your tax-exempt status and tax liability, to the IRS Tax Exempt and Government Entities Customer Account Services at (877) 829-5500 (toll-free number).
If you prefer to write, you may write us at:
Internal Revenue Service
Exempt Organizations Determinations
P.O. Box 2508
Cincinnati, OH 45201
You may also contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service, an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers resolve problems with the IRS and recommends changes that will prevent problems.
Publications and Other Resources
You may also obtain help from the following IRS publications and other resources:
- Publication 4220, Applying for 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status
- Publication 4221-PC, Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Public Charities
- Publication 4221-PF, Compliance Guide for 501(c)(3) Private Foundations
- Publication 4221-NC, Compliance Guide for Tax-Exempt Organizations (Other than 501(c)(3) Public Charities and Private Foundations)
- Publication 557, Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization
- Publication 598, Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations
- A step-by-step explanation of the Application Process
- Online workshops and mini-courses on topics of interest to exempt organizations: Topics include preparing returns, applying for exemption, required disclosures, political campaign activity, charitable contributions, and navigating IRS resources.