Applying for a VITA Grant
The VITA Grant Opportunity can be found on Grants.gov by searching CFDA number 21.009 beginning May 1. In order to apply for the VITA Grant, all applicants must meet certain eligibility requirements. Refer to the eligibility requirements in the Publication 4671 for further details or see VITA Grant FAQs.
Things you will need:
- Publication 4671, VITA Grant Program Overview and Application Instructions
- Dun & Bradstreet Universal Number (DUNS)
- System for Award Management (SAM)
- Grants.gov Registration
- State Review under Executive Order 12372 (if applicable)
Application Download and Submission:
- Download the application by following system instructions on Grants.gov.
- Complete the application as directed in Publication 4671.
- Submit the completed application and all required attachments through Grants.gov. All applications MUST BE submitted through Grants.gov on or before May 31.
The items indicated below should be included in the application. Please label the application components by the names indicated in the Publication 4671 before submission.
- Standard Form 424, Application for Federal Assistance
- Confirmation of Non-Profit Eligibility
- Narrative - Includes three sections: program section, civil rights section, and financial section
- Other Attachments - Includes attachments mentioned in the narrative sections
- VITA Grant Workbook or similar document
- Matching Funds Documentation
- Standard Form 424A, Budget Information - Non Construction Programs
- Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (if applicable)
- Standard Form LLL (if applicable)
Notification of Grant:
The Grant Program Office will notify applicants of their acceptance or rejection of a grant award by email. If not awarded a grant, general information is provided on why the applicant was not selected. Notification of award status is scheduled for October 1.
These forms are for information only. You must use the forms that are included in the application package downloaded from Grants.gov for your submission.
- Standard Form 424, Application for Federal Assistance - This form is required for all grant applications.
- Standard Form 424A, Budget Information - Non Construction Programs - This form is required for all grant applications.
- Standard Form LLL, Disclosure of Lobbying Activities. This form is only required if applicable.
- VITA Grant Workbook - The workbook provided should be used to capture prior year performance, proposed returns, sites, focus, matching funds, information, and reporting cash sub-awards or third party transactions.
- VITA Grant FAQs - The most frequently asked questions regarding the application process.
- VITA/TCE Grant Application Process Overview - Find grant opportunities and guidance on submitting an application for a grant.
- Grants.gov - Online federal grant announcement and application system.
- Office of Management and Budget - Circulars governing the administrative requirements, cost principles, and audit requirements of a grant award.
- System for Award Management (SAM) - SAM is a free web site that consolidates the capabilities found previously in the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) and the Excluded Parties List System (EPLS). Organizations interested in applying for the VITA or TCE grants must maintain an active registration in SAM. It also contains information on organizations and individuals that are excluded from receiving federal funds.
- Dun & Bradstreet Universal Number - The DUNS number is a means to identify entities receiving federal grants and cooperative agreements. Call 1-866-705-5711 to learn more.
- State Review Required under Executive Order 12372 - Allows each state to designate an entity to review proposed federal financial assistance and direct federal development. Visit the website to determine whether your state participates.
Contact the VITA Grant Program at Grant.Program.Office@irs.gov.