Partner and Volunteer Resource Center
- Check out the Fact Sheet 2015 Filing Season: VITA/TCE Training & Site Products!
- Understanding Taxes is back!
- View this Alternative Filing Method video to see how you can expand services to underserved rural and urban communities, elderly and disabled taxpayers, and those with transportation issues.
- Watch the free EITC Marketing Made Easy webinar. It's available 24/7. In less than an hour, see how to quickly navigate Marketing Express to customize and co-brand ‘grab-and-go’ EITC communication products. Get big results from your EITC outreach at a low cost.
Volunteer Return Preparation Program (VRPP) Quality Improvement Process
Our volunteer quality assurance procedures and products have been refined for this filing season's volunteer return preparation programs. Check in here to see the latest developments.
The Site Coordinators Corner has been designed to help volunteer site coordinators find the reference tools they need for their sites.
Volunteers, please remember to include your Site Identification Number on all tax returns that you prepare. If you are using the IRS-provided TaxWise software to file returns electronically for your customers, please set your default on your computer so that ALL of your returns get counted!
VOLUNTEER TAX PREPARATION SCOPE AND PRODUCTS
The volunteer tax preparation training materials are developed throughout the spring and summer of each year, based on feedback from internal and external stakeholders. The training kits (Publications 4491 and 4480) normally begin shipping in mid-November of each year.
Tax law changes implemented after the products are printed are published in Publication 4491-X in mid-December of each year. In addition to instructional guidance for new legislation, the publication also contains pen-and-ink changes to the products in the training kits. NOTE: Publication 4491-X is available on IRS.gov in mid-December.
Link and Learn Taxes, the e-learning training application, is normally available with tax law for the upcoming filing season in early November.
LINKS TO PRODUCTS
Here is a list of outreach, training and tax preparation products available to the IRS-SPEC network of national and local partners and volunteers. While many of the products are accessible electronically on this site, organization representatives should contact their local SPEC office for product-ordering guidance.
Products for Military - The tax laws provide some special benefits for active members of the U.S. Armed Forces, including those serving in combat zones.
Publication 3, Armed Forces' Tax Guide
- Check out the partner Outreach Corner for links to newsletter articles, podcasts, widgets and other electronic products to help you reach out to your customers with timely tax news they may need.
- VITA/TCE Instructor Guidance (Publication 4555-e)
- Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA)
- EITC Assistant Online Application
- IRS Withholding Calculator
- EITC Toolkit for Partners
- EITC Information for Partners
- Disaster Services Referral Guide
E-file MATERIALS - Filing a federal tax return using IRS e-file is easier and more convenient than ever before. In 37 states and in the District of Columbia, taxpayers can simultaneously e-file Federal and State tax returns. File a completely paperless tax return at your volunteer site/s by using a Self-Select PIN. With a Self-Select PIN, there is no paper signature document to send in!
Partners and volunteers who file 1040-series tax returns must abide by the signature requirements for all Electronic Return Originators.
ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)
An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
OTHER TIPS AND LINKS FOR PARTNERS AND VOLUNTEERS
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is committed to making every document on our web site accessible to the widest possible audience. If you need help accessing these products, please link to our Accessible IRS Tax Products page.
Are you currently a partner with IRS in a local community tax coalition to educate people about taxes or help them with their federal tax returns? If so, remember you can use the SPEC Partner email box to send us comments, suggestions or other feedback regarding any IRS-sponsored assistance efforts.
We hope this resource page is helpful. If you can't find what you are looking for here, please let us know by sending us an email at the address above.