Understanding Your CP187 Notice
You received this notice to remind you of the amount you owe in tax, penalty and interest.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully ― it will explain how much money you owe on your taxes.
You may want to...
- Download copies of the following materials (if they weren't included with your notice):
- Call 1-800-829-FORM to have forms and publications mailed to you.
- Complete and send us a Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact us on your behalf.
- Make payment arrangements if you cannot pay the full amount you owe.
- Learn more about your payment options here.
Answers to Common Questions
Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
Yes, interest accrues on your unpaid balance until you pay it in full.
Do I receive a penalty if I cannot pay the full amount?
Yes, you receive a late payment penalty.
What happens if I cannot pay the full amount I owe?
You can arrange to make a payment plan with us if you cannot pay the full amount you owe.
How can I set up a payment plan?
Call the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice to discuss payment options or learn more about payment arrangements here.
What’s a Federal Tax Deposit Coupon Book? Do I need one?
The coupon book allows you to make deposits at your bank of various business taxes such as income tax withholding, Social Security tax and Medicare tax collected from your employees’ pay. You can also make your tax liability deposits electronically through the Electronic Federal Tax Deposit System. If your employment taxes are less than $2500 each quarter, you can submit your employment tax payment with your Form 941, Employer’s QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions for which you may qualify. In many cases, you can file free. Learn more about how to file electronically here.
Understanding your notice
Your notice may look different from the sample because the information contained in your notice is tailored to your situation.
Notice CP187, Page 1
Notice CP187, Page 2
Notice CP187, Page 3