IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP261 Notice

CP261 is the approval notice for Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation.

What you need to do

  • Keep this S corporation approval letter (CP261 Notice), in your permanent records.
  • Timely file Form 1120S reporting income/loss for the S corporation including Schedules K-1 for all shareholders.
  • Timely file all employment tax returns.

You may want to

  • If your address changes, submit Form 8822-B, Change of Address – Business, to ensure our records remain correct.

Answers to Common Questions

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 05-Jan-2015

Printable samples of this notice (PDF)



How to get help

  • Call the 1-800, 1-866 or 1-888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
  • Authorize someone (e.g., accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848.
  • See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.