Understanding Your CP301 Notice
We sent you this notice to confirm that you visited the IRS online services website and completed our identity verification process.
What you need to do
- If you created a User ID and Password
- Your User ID and password are required each time you access one of our online services.
- Keep your registration profile data current. We will send you a confirmation email each time you update your profile.
- If you accessed IRS Online Services as a GUEST USER
- You must enter the requested information every time you access online services.
- If you received an activation code with the notice, go to www.irs.gov/onlineservices, sign in and enter your activation code to complete your online registration.
- Your activation code will expire 30 days after the date noted on your CP301 Notice.
Answers to Common Questions
What happens if someone else used my personal information to register online at IRS?
If you didn't initiate this registration, contact IRS helpdesk at 1-888-841-4648, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time to disable your online account.
What is an activation code and what if I didn’t get my activation code in the notice?
Activation code is an 8 digit code required to activate your account to access certain online services. Not all online service access requires activation code. If activation code is not present in your notice, you can continue to use the service with your userid and password.
What happens if my activation code sent in the notice does not work?
You can go to online services, use your userid and password to request for a new activation code. Please allow for 30 days for the activation code to arrive before you request a new activation code.
I forgot my userid and password that I created online, can I use the system?
You can go to online services website and retrieve your userid and password.
How long is my online service account valid?
Your online service account is valid as long as you are an active user. IRS periodically request users to provide information to revalidate.
Can I use the same user id and password that I created on the online services web site for all IRS services?
The same user id and password can be used to access all services that currently offered by IRS Online Service.