Understanding Your CP54G Notice
Your tax return shows a different name and/or ID number from the information we have for your account. Please provide the requested information.
What you need to do
- Review your identifying information shown on this notice and compare it to your most recent social security card or taxpayer ID card.
- Complete the CP54 response form to explain the discrepancies.
- Include copies of documents to substantiate your name and identifying number.
You may want to
- Contact the SSA to update your records if any of the following occurred:
- you recently married and are using your spouse’s last name and have not already contacted SSA,
- you legally changed your name without contacting SSA, or
- your social security number (SSN) and/or name are different than on your social security card.
Tips for next year
ake sure you file using your name and taxpayer ID number as they appear on your social security card or taxpayer ID card.