Understanding your CP130 Notice
Your tax return filing requirements may have changed: You may no longer need to pay the Alternative Minimum Tax.
Printable samples of this notice (PDF)
Tax publications you may find useful
- Form 4626, Alternative Minimum Tax, Corportations
- Form 1120-X, Amended US Corporation Income Tax Return
- Find a copy of any necessary tax forms and instructions
How to get help
Calling the 1-800 number listed on the top right corner of your notice is the fastest way to get your questions answered.
You can also authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using this Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848).
Or you may qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully. It may also suggest additional steps for you to take depending on whether you qualify for the exemption for the Alternative Minimum Tax.
You may want to...
- Complete and send the Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (Form 2848) to authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf.
- Submit an amended tax return. Download tax forms and instructions.
- Learn more with the Seven Facts to Help You Understand the Alternative Minimum Tax.
Answers to Common Questions
I completed an amended tax return (Form 1120-X). Do I need to mail it to a specific address?
Write "AMT-EXEMPT" on the top of your Form 1120-X and send it to the same IRS address where you mailed your original tax return.
We are an estate/trust, but the notice only mentions corporations. Are we eligible for the exemption for the Alternative Minimum Tax?
No. Estates/trusts are not corporations and as such are not exempt from the AMT.
How does the Recovery and Reinvestment Tax Act of 2009 affect the Alternative Minimum Tax rules for corporations/trusts/estates?
The Act did not have any affect on the AMT rules for corporations/trust/estates.
I don’t handle tax issues for my corporation. How can I request that you send all future tax notices directly to our accountant?
Complete a Form 8822, Change of Address, and send it to the address shown on the form.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file.
Understanding your notice
Reading your notice
Your notice may look different from the sample because the information contained in your notice is tailored to your situation.
Notice CP130, Page 1
Notice CP130, Page 2