IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Employee Plans Customer Account Services

See Retirement Plans FAQs for general questions. See Types of Plans for rules on IRAs, 401(k)s, and other plans.

If you don't find your answer, please call, write or email us.

Call: (877) 829-5500 (toll-free number)


Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EP Customer Service Manager
P.O. Box 2508
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Email: Retirement Plan Questions

Telephone representatives will assist with basic Employee Plans questions only. Other questions will be answered by an Employee Plans Specialist within 15 business days.

Due to disclosure laws, account-related questions cannot be answered via email. All questions submitted via email will be answered by telephone, so include your phone number in your message.

Please do not include attachments in your email. IRS employees are unable to open attachments from unknown sources. Please ensure all relevant information is in the body of the email.

Employee Plans Customer Account Services will respond to questions relating to:

  • Qualified plans (profit-sharing, 401(k), money purchase, defined benefit, employee stock ownership (ESOPs), cash balance and targeted benefit plans)
  • Other employer-sponsored plans (SIMPLE IRAs, SARSEPs, SEPs and 403(b) plans)
  • Applications for a Determination Letter for an Employee Benefit Plan
    (Forms 5300, 5303, 5307, 5310 and 6406). Also see:
  • Form 5500-EZ Annual Return of One-Participant (Owners and Their Spouses) Retirement Plan
    • See below for information on Form 5500 and Form 5500-SF.

  • Excise taxes related to Employee Benefit Plans (Form 5330).
  • Unrelated Business Income generated by the trust of a plan (Form 990-T).
  • Various laws that impact employee plans, such as EGTRRA, GUST and PPA.
The following issues are not handled by Employee Plans Customer Account Services; call the applicable contact number:
Form 5500, 5500 SF EFAST 2 (866) 463-3278
EFAST2 Filing - Welcome

Requests for:

  • copies of EP Determination Letters or case files, or
  • a corrected Determination Letter
See How to request a copy of or a corrected letter
Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS)
VCP case status questions only

(626) 927-2011
You will need to provide the case's nine-digit control number, beginning with “911” stamped on the case acknowledgment letter, or, if an acknowledgment letter has not been received, the sponsor’s EIN and the plan number.

If you have general questions about EPCRS, use the Account Services phone number and email address at the top of this page.

Traditional IRAs

Taxability of Distributions

Cafeteria Plans (also known as FSA Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts and 125 Plans) other than those related to Form 5500

Medical Savings Accounts

(800) 829-1040
or email.
COBRA continuation coverage

Employers may call (202) 622-6080 to leave a message.

All others should write to:
Internal Revenue Service
COBRA Coordinator
1111 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, D.C. 20224

COBRA Notice and Election Issues

HIPPA Portability Issues

Welfare Plans (such as health plans, employer sponsored vision plans, etc.)

(866) 275-7922
Employee Benefits Security Administration
Withholding (866) 455-7438 (Monday through Friday,8:30am - 4:30pm EST)

These customer service agents will only assist payors (employers or businesses issuing information returns). They cannot assist those who have not received or received an incorrect Form 1099 or Form W-2. These individuals should contact (800) 829-1040.
Deferred Compensation Plans for State & Local Governments and 457 Plans for Tax-Exempt Organizations IRS Office of Chief Counsel
(202) 622-6060

For assistance with other questions (such as retirement income taxability issues), please refer to the HELP section of this site.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 24-Jul-2015