Like Share Print
Become an Enrolled Agent
Follow these steps to become an enrolled agent:
- Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN);
- Apply to take the Special Enrollment Examination (SEE);
- Achieve passing scores on all 3 parts of the SEE;*
- Apply for enrollment using Form 23; and
- Pass a tax compliance check to ensure that you have filed all necessary tax returns and there are no outstanding tax liabilities. This check is conducted on your behalf after submission of Form 23.
*Certain IRS employees, by virtue of past technical experience, are exempt from the exam requirement.
Once you become an enrolled agent you must:
- Renew your status as an enrolled agent every three years
- Obtain continuing education
- Renew your PTIN annually
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 04-Dec-2013