Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page
Become an Enrolled Agent
Follow these steps to become an enrolled agent:
- Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN);
- Apply to take the Special Enrollment Examination (SEE);
- Achieve passing scores on all 3 parts of the SEE;*
1. Review old SEE questions and answers
2. Review the SEE Candidate Information Bulletin
- Apply for enrollment and pay enrollment fee electronically at Pay.gov or by downloading Form 23 and mailing the completed form and a check to the IRS.
- Pass a tax compliance check to ensure that you have filed all necessary tax returns and there are no outstanding tax liabilities. This check is conducted on your behalf after submission of Form 23.
*Certain IRS employees, by virtue of past technical experience, are exempt from the exam requirement.
Once you become an enrolled agent you must:
- Renew your status as an enrolled agent every three years
- Obtain continuing education
- Renew your PTIN annually
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 06-Feb-2014