IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

Trade or business reporting only.  Report on Form 1099-MISC only when payments are made in the course of your trade or business.  Personal payments are not reported on Form 1099-MISC.

File Form 1099-MISC for each person to whom you have paid during the year:

  • at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest; 
  • at least $600 in rents, services (including parts and materials), prizes and awards, other income payments, medical and health care payments, crop insurance proceeds, cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish, or, generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate; 
  • any fishing boat proceeds, or
  • gross proceeds of $600, or more paid to an attorney during the year.

Also, use Form 1099-MISC to report that you made direct sales of at least $5,000 of consumer products to a buyer for resale anywhere other than a permanent retail establishment.

You should use General Instructions for Certain Information Returns and Instructions for Form 1099-MISC to complete Form 1099-MISC.

For help making corrections, see the General Instructions for Certain Information Returns.

Current Products

Recent Developments


Other Items You May Find Useful:

All Form 1099-MISC Revisions

Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns

Publication 15-A, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide

Publication 15-B, Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide

Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses

Publication 542, Corporations

Publication 957, Reporting Back Pay and Special Wage Payments to the Social Security Administration

Publication 1542, Per Diem Rates

Other Current Products

Comment on Form 1099-MISC

Use the Comment on Tax Forms and Publications  web form to provide feedback on the content of this product. Although we cannot respond individually to each comment, we do appreciate your feedback and will consider all comments submitted.

CAUTION: We cannot respond to tax-related questions submitted using this page. Instead, please visit Tax Law Questions or call our toll-free number at 1-800-829-1040 (Individuals) or 1-800-829-4933 (Business).

Information reporting customer service site. If you have questions about reporting on forms 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, W-2, W-2C, W-2G, W-3 and W-3C, you may call 1-866-455-7438 (toll-free) or 304-263-8700 (not toll free). Persons with a hearing or speech disability with access to TTY/TDD equipment can call 304-579-4827 (not toll free).

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 17-Mar-2014