Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
EVERYONE is Eligible to Free File!
Let Free File do the hard work for you with brand-name software or online Fillable Forms. You can prepare and e-file your federal return for free. Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS. Some also support state tax returns.
Review the three-step process below, and you'll be on your way to e-filing your return--for free!
Filed an Extension this year? You can still use Free File to do your 2012 federal tax return through October 15, 2013.
- Gather your tax information.
You need a copy of last year's tax return and your W-2s, 1099s, etc.
- Determine your AGI. Check your last year's tax return for a quick estimate of your adjusted gross income (AGI). Did you know that approximately 70% of all taxpayers have an AGI of $57,000 or less?
- Review the Free File FAQs.
Read the Free File FAQs and Free File Fillable Forms FAQs for more information about the program.
2.Choose a Free File Option
- Use Free File Tax Software.
This program is available if your AGI is $57,000 or less:
- Use Free File Fillable Forms.
Everyone is eligible to use Free File Fillable Forms, which are online versions of our paper forms designed for people comfortable preparing their own tax returns. This option does not offer state tax returns and performs only basic calculations.
3.e-file Your Return for Free!