Exempt Organizations Annual Reporting Requirements: Action Required by Federal Credit Union Not Required to File


My organization was a state credit union exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(14), but reorganized as a federal credit union exempt under section 501(c)(1). How do we let the IRS know we are no longer required to file an annual information return?

The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) and the exempt federal credit unions under its supervision are organizations described in section 501(c)(1) of the Code and are not required to file annual information returns (e.g., Form 990). If you were previously a state credit union required to file an annual information return, but are now a federal credit union under the supervision of the NCUA, please prepare a request signed by an officer to have your classification changed and include the following:

  • Your organization’s name
  • A printout from the NCUA website showing that your organization is under the supervision of the NCUA
  • Your organization’s address
  • Your organization’s Employer Identification Number
  • The name and title of the officer signing the request

Fax the request to 855-204-6184, or send it to:

Attn: Correspondence Unit
P.O. Box 2508
Cincinnati, OH  45201