Am I eligible to claim the child and dependent care credit?


ITA home

This interview will help you determine if you're eligible to claim the child and dependent care credit for expenses paid for the care of an individual to allow you to work or look for work.

Information you'll need

  • The date of birth for the child or dependent that received care.
  • If married, your filing status.

The tool is designed for taxpayers who were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information about nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International taxpayers.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated completion time: 10 minutes

Please note: After 30 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.