How Do I Claim My Gambling Winnings and/or Losses?


ITA Home

This interview will help you determine how to claim your gambling winnings and/or losses.

Information You'll Need

  • Your and your spouse's filing status.
  • Amount of your gambling winnings and losses.
  • Any information provided to you on a Form W-2G.

The tool is designed for taxpayers who were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they're inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information about nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International Taxpayers.


Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Estimated Completion Time: 10 minutes

Please Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you'll be forced to start over.

Caution: Using the "Back" button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.