Changed Your Name After Marriage or Divorce? (ASL) - YouTube video text script


Hi, Jeshal, and I work for the IRS.

If you changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce, or for some other reason, you need to notify the Social Security Administration of that change before you file your tax return.

Otherwise, IRS computers can't match your new name with your Social Securitynumber, and names that don't match can cause problems when we process your return.

It could even delay your refund.

To update your records, use Form SS-5, the application for a Social Security card.

You can get it from the Social Security Administration's website at

Whether you file Form SS-5 at your local Social Security office or by mail, you'll need to provide documents to support your legal name change, such as an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate.

For more information, go to