Researching Tax Treaties


Publication 901, U.S. Tax Treaties, will show you whether a tax treaty between the United States and a particular country offers a reduced rate of, or possibly a complete exemption from, U.S. income tax for residents of that particular country.

The Tax Treaty Tables page lists:

  • the countries that have income tax treaties with the United States,
  • the tax rates on different kinds of income, and
  • the kinds of income that are exempt from tax.

In addition to the Tax Treaty Tables, Publication 901 contains discussions of the exemptions from tax and certain other effects of the tax treaties on the following types of income:

  1. Pay for certain personal services performed in the United States,
  2. Pay of a professor, teacher, or researcher who teaches or performs research in the United States for a limited time,
  3. Amounts received for maintenance and studies by a foreign student or apprentice who is here for study or experience,
  4. Wages, salaries, and pensions paid by a foreign government.

CAUTION! You should use Publication 901 and the Tax Treaty Tables page only for quick reference. It is not a complete guide to all provisions of every income tax treaty.

Some common tax treaty benefits available to U.S. citizens and resident aliens with foreign income are explained in Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad.

Refer to the United States Income Tax Treaties page for the complete texts of many of the tax treaties in force and their accompanying Treasury Technical Explanations.

For further information on tax treaties, refer to the Treaties and Other International Documents page of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

References/Related Topics