If you need more time to file your taxes, request an extension


April 11, 2023

If you can't file your federal tax return by the April 18, 2023, deadline, request an extension. An extension gives you until October 16, 2023, to file your 2022 federal income tax return.

You can use IRS Free File at IRS.gov/freefile to request an automatic filing extension or file Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File.

An extension to file is not an extension to pay taxes. If you owe taxes, you should pay them before the due date to avoid potential penalties and interest on the amount owed.

If you're an eligible victim of recent natural disasters, you may have an automatic extension of time to make various tax payments. Visit IRS.gov/disasters to get more information and see if you qualify.