All Tax Forms Free with Free File


通知 :歷史內容


IR-2016-24, Feb. 12, 2016

WASHINGTON — Whether you draw a paycheck, are self-employed or own a small business, you can use all available tax forms you need for free with IRS Free File.

If you make $62,000 or less, you qualify for free brand-name software offered through a partnership between the IRS and 13 leading tax software providers. Some of these providers offer free federal and free state return preparation and electronic filing. If you made more than $62,000, you can use Free File Fillable Forms, electronic versions of IRS paper forms best for someone experienced in return preparation.

Free File offers all federal tax forms for free. That goes for the Form 1040, Form 1040EZ and Form 1040A. For example, all forms are free if you have mortgage interest deductions, children in college or made money in the stock market, among other things.

Also for example, all forms are free if you have a Form W-2, or a Form 1099 or an EIN for your own business.

February marks a high-point in the tax filing season when the IRS experiences many calls to its customer service line from taxpayers with questions. Free File software products can help answer many of your questions by walking you through a step-by-step process to complete your tax return.

And if you can’t find answers from your tax software product, there are many other online tools at that can help you find the answers you need when you need them.

To start your Free File tax return, you first need all your documents including your income statements such as Form W-2. Businesses are required to provide their employees with their Forms W-2 by Jan. 31.

If you did not receive your Form W-2, now is a good time to contact your employer or former employer and put in your request. If you do not receive your Form W-2 by the end of February, contact the IRS and the agency will send a letter to your employer.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot meet the April 18 tax deadline this year, you also can use Free File to submit an extension to file. Just look for the companies that are offering free extensions. The extension will give you until Oct. 17. But remember, it’s an extension to file, not an extension to pay. If you think you will owe, be sure to make any payment by April 18.

Related Item:

Follow the IRS on New Media
Subscribe to IRS Newswire