About Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN)


Use Form SS-4 to apply for an employer identification number (EIN). An EIN is a 9-digit number (for example, 12-3456789) assigned to employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts, certain individuals, and other entities for tax filing and reporting purposes.

Note: Keep the Form SS-4 information current. Use Form 8822-B to report changes to your responsible party, address or location. Changes in responsible parties must be reported to the IRS within 60 days.

Current Revision

Form SS-4 PDF

Recent Developments

None at this time.

Other Items You May Find Useful

About Publication 15 (Circular E), Employer's Tax Guide
About Publication 51 (Circular A), Agricultural Employer's Tax Guide
About Publication 80, Federal Tax Guide for Employers in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands