- About This Guide
- General Information
- Information for specific assistive technologies
This guide will help you use your assistive technology screen readers, screen magnifiers, and speech recognition software to access the content and features on IRS.gov.
You can find accessible forms and publications in the following formats:
- Braille and text
- Large print
For easier readability you can change the font size in many web browsers.
- Increase font: Hold down the Ctrl key (Command key on a Macintosh) and press the + (plus) key
- Decrease font: Hold down the Ctrl key (Command key on a Macintosh) and press the - (minus) key
Some content on the IRS.gov requires additional file viewers or applets. We have listed a few below for your convenience. These links are to non-government sources. IRS does not endorse any of these products. If you have questions about a particular plug-in or file viewer, ask the respective vendor.
Use Adobe Acrobat Reader to read Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
Microsoft Office Documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Microsoft offers Office viewers to enable you to open and view Office files if you don't have Office applications installed. CSV files are tabular data in text format that you can open with any text viewer or import into a spreadsheet.
Zip (.zip) files are single files, sometimes called "archives", that contain one or more compressed files. Use 7-Zip or similar file extractor program to open and extract them.
|Virtual HTML Features||INSERT + F3|
|List Frames||INSERT + F9|
|List Links||INSERT + F7|
|Prior Link||SHIFT + TAB|
|Activate Button or Link||ENTER KEY|
|List Buttons||INSERT + CTRL + B|
|List Edit Boxes||INSERT + CTRL + E|
|List Radio Buttons||INSERT + CTRL + A|
|List Check Boxes||INSERT + CTRL + X|
|Move to start of document||CTRL + HOME|
|Move to end of document||CTRL + END|
|JAWS Form Action(s)||Commands|
|List Headings||INSERT + F6|
|List of Form Fields||INSERT + F5|
|Previous Heading||SHIFT + H|
|JAWS Table Action(s)||Commands|
|List Tables||INSERT + CTRL + T|
|Read from Beginning of Row to Current Cell||INSERT + SHIFT + HOME|
|Read from Current Cell to End of Row||INSERT + SHIFT + PAGE UP|
|Read current row||SHIFT + UP ARROW|
|Read current column||SHIFT + NUMPAD 5|
|JAWS Reading Action(s)||Commands|
|Read continuously from current position||INSERT + DOWN ARROW|
|Read Current Sentence||ALT + NUMPAD 5|
|Next Sentence||ALT + DOWN ARROW|
|Previous Sentence||ALT + UP ARROW|
JAWs Additional Guidance
When the header panel (Example File, Pay…) is open use the down arrow to navigate the submenu.
JAWS command CTRL + Home returns you to the top of the page after activating the "Skip to Main Content" link.
- Search using JAWS
- To find the search box using JAWS, use insert + F3.
- Select the "Edit Boxes List", then select Ok button.
- Select "Search Edit Search" you will be directed to the edit box to do your search.
- Input the desired phrase, then press enter.
- When the "Search Results page displays" tab to "skip to main content Link", then press enter. This will take you to the main area where the results are displayed. Tab to find the item you are searching for.
- Use Filter on the Search Results
- Tab to the "More info about the … Filters button"
- Tab and select the preferred filter.
- Initiate a new search using JAWS
- Tab to one of the search edit boxes, then type in your new search phrase, or repeat the above steps for Searching using JAWS.
|macOS VoiceOver Action(s)||Commands|
|Home||VO + H|
|Select Next/Previous Item||VO + Left or Right Arrow|
|Activate Item||VO + Spacebar|
|Find the next heading||VO + Command + H|
|Find the previous heading||VO + Command + Shift + H|
|Find the next control||VO + Command + J|
|Find the previous control||SHIFT + TAB|
|Find the next Table||VO + Command + T|
|Find the previous Table||VO + Command + Shift + T|
|Find the next Link||VO + Command + L|
|Find the previous Link||VO + Command + Shift + L|
|Find the next Paragraph||VO + Shift + Page Down|
|Find the previous Paragraph||VO + Shift + Page Up|
|Read the next line||VO + Down Arrow|
|Read the previous line||VO + Up Arrow|
|Read all from current position||VO + A|
|Read all from Top||VO + B|
|Android TalkBack Navigation Action(s)||Commands|
|Move to next item||ALT + SHIFT+ RIGHT ARROW|
|Move to previous Item||ALT + SHIFT+ LEFT ARROW|
|Move to first item||ALT + SHIFT+ UP ARROW|
|Move to last item||ALT + SHIFT+ DOWN ARROW|
|Click focused element||ALT + SHIFT+ ENTER|
|Android TalkBack Global Action(s)||Commands|
|Back||ALT + SHIFT+ BACKSPACE|
|Home||ALT + SHIFT+ H|
|Recent Apps||ALT + SHIFT+ R|
|Notifications||ALT + SHIFT+ N|
|Search the screen||ALT + SHIFT+ /(FORWARD SLASH)|
|Next navigation setting||ALT + SHIFT+ EQUALS (=)|
|Previous navigation setting||ALT + SHIFT+ MINUS (-)|
|Open global context menu||ALT + SHIFT+ G|
|Open local context menu||ALT + SHIFT+ L|
|Pause or Resume Talkback||ALT + SHIFT+ Z|
|Stop Talkback Speech||CRTL|
Talkback Additional Guidance
- Talkback will read the "Continue" button on IRS.gov pages and will only announce "Double tap to activate" when user selects the radio buttons for the options available.
- Talkback reads consecutive numerical digits as a single number and each digit individually in the Control number field. For example, the following Control number "12345678910234" would be read as: "Twelve trillion, thirty-four billion, etc."
|iOS VoiceOver Action(s)||Gesture Commands|
|To go Home||Slide one finger up from the bottom edge until you feel vibration|
|Switch between applications||Slide up farther from the bottom until you feel a second vibration|
|To use Control Center||Slide one finger down from the top edge until you feel vibration|
|To use Notification Center||Slide down farther from the top edge until you feel vibration|
|Scroll Page||Swipe three fingers to scroll|
|Select Next/Previous Item||Swipe Right or Left|
|Select item||Tap once|
|Activate selected item||Double tap|
iOS VoiceOver (Versions 12/13) Additional Guidance
- For iOS VoiceOver there is a known issue where the count of Form Controls or Buttons will include the browser's built in controls in addition to any form controls that are present on the web page.
- For example, VoiceOver may include the back button, forward button, refresh button, and other built in controls.
- There are only 3 form controls or buttons at any given time on the page.
- There is a known issue where VoiceOver does not announce second to last digit being deleted from an input field.
- VoiceOver may announce "Form Start" at different places throughout the Identify Verification application. "Form Start" refers to portions of the webpage that accept user input, not a specific IRS tax form.
|ZoomText Command Keys||Caps Lock + Ctrl +U; or Help and Learning|
|Turn speech on or off||Caps Lock + Alt + enter|
|Increase magnification||Caps Lock + arrow up|
|Decrease magnification||Caps Lock + arrow down|
|Turn color enhancements on and off||Caps Lock + C|
Zoomtext Additional Guidance
- When navigating any Search Result pages, use the tab key to navigate to "skip to main content" to minimize keystrokes then tab twice to reach the Results on the page. Tab through the results to find what you need or do another search.
- Use the down arrow to expand the header panel (Example File, Pay…) then use tab to navigate through the submenu.
Use Dragon Naturally Speaking version 14 for Windows or version 6 for macOS for best results
|Turn the microphone on or off||Plus key (+) on the numeric keypad|
|Open the Correction menu||Minus key (-) on the numeric keypad|
|Force words to be recognized as commands||Press and hold down the CTRL key|
|Force words to be recognized as dictation||Press and hold down the SHIFT key|
|Open the Naturally Speaking menu||Asterisk key (*) on the numeric keypad|
|Put the microphone to sleep or wake it up||Slash key (/) on the numeric keypad|
|Press-to-talk||Zero key (0) on the numeric keypad|
|Turn the microphone on or off||Say "Wake up" or "Go to Sleep"|
|Show navigation commands||Say "What can I say"|
|List all links||Say "Click Link"|
|List (radio) buttons||Say "Click (radio) button"|
|List checkboxes||Say "Click checkbox"|
|List edit boxes/text field||Say "Click edit box" or "Click text field"|
|Top of Page||Say "Move page up"|
|Bottom of Page||Say "Move page down"|
|Move mouse up/down||Say "Move mouse up" or "Move mouse down"|
|Move mouse left/right||Say "Move mouse left" or "Move mouse right"|
|Use Mouse Grid to move/select specific items||Say "MouseGrid"|
Dragon Naturally Speaking Additional Guidance
- To expand the header panel (Example File, Pay…) use Dragon commands to navigate the page. Use the following commands:
- Say "Click Link" then state the number of the Link you need to select (example the number displayed for File) state "Chose 6".
- The File page will be displayed. You can state click link to select the items on the submenu of the File page (example Individuals page)
- The desired submenu will be activated and Dragon Naturally Speaking users routed to the selected submenu link.