Understanding Your CP259D Notice


What this notice is about

Our records indicate you did not file a required Form 990-T, Exempt Organization Business Income Tax Return.

What you need to do

  • Disregard this notice if you have filed the return within the last four weeks using the same name and EIN listed on the notice.
  • Otherwise, file your required Form 990-T immediately according to the instructions on the notice.
    • If you don't think you need to file, complete the Response Form enclosed with your notice and either:
      • Mail it to us using the envelope provided, or
      • Fax it to the fax number in the notice using either a fax machine or an online fax service. Protect yourself when sending digital data by understanding the fax service’s privacy and security policies.
    • If you filed more than four weeks ago or used a different name or EIN, complete the Response Form enclosed with your notice and mail it to us in the envelope provided along with a signed and dated copy of the return.

You may want to

Frequently asked questions

Form 990-T must be filed by any organization that is tax-exempt under section 501(a) or section 529(a), if it has gross unrelated business income of $1,000 or more for a given tax year. A list of other entities who must file Form 990-T is shown in the Who Must File section of the General Instructions of Form 990-TPDF.

For an employees' trust defined in section 401(a), an IRA (including SEPs and SIMPLEs), a Roth IRA, a Coverdell ESA, or an Archer MSA, the Form 990-T is due by the 15th day of the 4th month after the end of its tax year. All other organizations must file Form 990-T by the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of their tax year. If any due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the organization can file the return on the next business day.

If you have questions and/or need help completing this form, please call 877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.

Tips for next year

Review the information for Unrelated Business Income Tax.

Need help?