IRS reminds extension filers to have all their info before visiting a tax professional

IRS Tax Tip 2023-117, Oct. 10, 2023

The deadline is around the corner for taxpayers with an extension to file. It's important for taxpayers to gather all their records and get copies of any missing documents before they sit down to prepare their return, and taxpayers who use a professional tax preparer should make sure they have all their information ready before their appointment. This helps them file a complete and accurate tax return.

Here's the information taxpayers may need. Not all information applies to all taxpayers.

  • Social Security numbers of everyone listed on the tax return. 
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit or information to make a tax payment.
  • Forms W-2 from employer(s).
  • Forms 1099 from banks, issuing agencies and other payers including unemployment compensation, dividends, distributions from a pension, annuity or retirement plan.
  • Form 1099-K, 1099-MISC, W-2 or other income statement for workers in the gig economy.
  • Form 1099-INT for interest received.
  • Other income documents and records of virtual currency transactions.
  • Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
  • Information to support claiming other credits or deductions such as receipts for child or dependent care, college expenses or donations.

Missing documents: What taxpayers should do

To request a missing W-2 or Form 1099, taxpayers should contact the employer, payer or issuing agency. This also applies for taxpayers who received an incorrect W-2 or Form 1099.

If they still can't get the forms, taxpayers can complete Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. If a taxpayer doesn't receive the missing or correct form in time to file their tax return, they can estimate the wages or payments made to them and any taxes withheld. They can use Form 4852 to report this information on their federal tax return.

Find an authorized e-file provider

For help finding a tax professional, taxpayers can use the Authorized IRS e-file Provider Locator Service. This is a nationwide listing of all businesses that the IRS has authorized as an IRS e-file provider. They're qualified to prepare, transmit and process e-filed returns.

Subscribe to IRS Tax Tips