Understanding your CP259B Notice


What this notice is about

Our records indicate your organization didn't file a Form 990-PF, Return of Private Foundation or Section 4947(a)(1) Trust Treated as Private Foundation.

What you need to do

  • File a Form 990-PF
  • Complete the response page
  • Mail it to the address on the notice

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I have already filed Form 990-PF?

If you filed within the last four weeks using the same name and Employer ID number (EIN) on your notice, you don't have to do anything. Our system may not have processed your return at the time we mailed the notice.

If you filed more than four weeks ago or used a different name or EIN, complete the response form starting on Page 3, and mail it to us with a signed and dated copy of the return.

What should I do if I don't think I have to file a Form 990-PF?

Complete the response form starting on Page 3 of the notice and mail it to us.

Can I get help over the phone?

If you have questions and/or need help completing the form, you may call our Customer Account Services at 877-829-5500. Personal assistance is available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.

Where can I go for more information about tax-exempt organizations?

For more information on tax-exempt organizations see Tax Information for Charities & Other Nonprofits.