Let us help you

We can help you online, by phone or in person.

Online tools and resources

You can get help online with self-service options.

Expecting a refund?

  • The IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days.

You can check the status of your refund:

  • E-filed return: within 24 hours after we receive it
  • Paper return: 4 weeks after you mailed it

You should only call about your:

  • E-filed return: 3 weeks after you filed it
  • Paper return: 6 weeks after you mailed it
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation: 11 weeks for e-filed and 14 weeks for paper return filing
  • Refund: If the Where’s My Refund? tool directs you to contact us.

Get the latest information on IRS operations and services.

To check the status of your amended return:

  • Wait 3 weeks after filing then use the Where’s My Amended Return? tool.

You should only call if:

  • It’s more than 16 weeks since you mailed your amended return or
  • The Where’s My Amended Return? tool directs you to call us

Help in your language

If you can't find the answers to your tax questions on IRS.gov, we offer help in over 350 languages with the support of professional interpreters.

For Spanish, call 800-829-1040. For all other languages, call 833-553-9895.

You will reach an IRS assistor who can either:

  • Provide an interpreter over the phone
  • Schedule an appointment for you at one of our local Taxpayer Assistance Centers so you can get help in person. Please note, our local offices provide assistance only on specific topics.

Telephone and local assistance

If you mailed a tax return or letter and haven’t yet heard from us, don’t call or file a second return. Find expected wait times for current IRS operations and services.

Telephone assistors can help with many topics but see the list of topics our assistors can’t address.

Verify your identity when you call

Our representatives must verify your identity before discussing your personal information.

Have the following ready when you call:


  • Social Security numbers (SSN) and birth dates
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if you don’t have a Social Security number
  • Filing status – single, head of household, married filing jointly, married filing separately or qualifying surviving spouse
  • Prior-year tax return
  • Tax return you’re calling about
  • Any correspondence we sent to you

Third parties calling for someone else

Third parties calling for a deceased taxpayer

IRS phone number - Call wait times

Filing season
(January - April)

  • Wait times can average 3 minutes. Some phone lines may have longer wait times.
  • Wait times are longer on Mondays and Tuesdays, during Presidents Day weekend and around the April tax filing deadline.

Post-filing season
(May - December)

  • Wait times can average 11 minutes. Some phone lines may have longer wait times.
  • Wait times are shorter Wednesday through Friday.

Our help lines are open Monday through Friday. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii should follow Pacific time. Phone lines in Puerto Rico are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. local time.

7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Tax professionals
If you have a valid third-party authorization, contact the Practitioner Priority Service.
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Non-profit taxes
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time

Estate and gift taxes (Form 706/709)
10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Eastern time

Excise taxes
​​​​​8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time

Overseas callers
Use our International Services page. 

Callers who are hearing impaired
TTY/TDD 800-829-4059

You can get in-person help at your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC). Locate a Taxpayer Assistance Center near you. Check what services are available at that location, then call 844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment.

IRS offices are closed on federal holidays.

You can file your return for free through:

  • IRS Free File — helps qualified taxpayers file their taxes using commercial tax software for free
  • IRS Direct File — a new pilot service to file directly with the IRS, available in 12 states

Certain taxpayers may qualify to get free tax return preparation and electronic filing help at a location near where they live. For more information, see Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for the Elderly.

Get help from IRS-certified volunteers

Free tax return preparation for qualifying taxpayers, if any of these situations apply to you:

  • Earn $64,000 or less
  • Have a disability
  • Need language support
  • Are 60 years or older