You must e-file your Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return, if you are filing for 25 or more vehicles, but we encourage e-filing for anyone required to file Form 2290 and who wants to receive quick delivery of their watermarked Schedule 1. With e-file, you’ll receive it almost immediately after we accept your e-filed Form 2290.
Step 1 : Gather Your Information
- Employer Identification Number. You cannot use your Social Security number
Don't have an EIN? Apply now; allow two weeks for your new EIN to be established in our systems before filing your Form 2290.
- Use the same name. Your e-file name control must match your EIN name.
- Vehicle Identification Number of each vehicle.
- Taxable gross weight of each vehicle.
See Form 2290 instructions for information on how to calculate the taxable gross weight.
Step 2 : Choose a 2290 E-file Provider and File
- Review the list of participating commercial software providers and select one that best meets your needs.
- Services offered and fees charged differ by provider.
- You cannot e-file your Form 2290 on IRS.gov. You must use one of the participating commercial software providers.
- Follow the software prompts to complete, sign and e-file your return.
Step 3 : Choose a Payment Option
- NEW. Pay Your Taxes by Credit or Debit Card. You can pay by internet, phone or mobile device.
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal. You can authorize a direct debit as part of the e-file process.
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS). You must be pre-enrolled; be sure to allow 5-7 business days to get enrolled.
You'll receive your watermarked Schedule 1 from your e-file provider via email after we accept your Form 2290. To avoid problems, ensure the watermark on your printed copy of Schedule 1 is legible before submitting it to your state department of motor vehicles. You may need to reprint with fresh ink or on a different printer to ensure a legible watermark.