About Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

Electronic Filing Now Available for Form 1040-X

You can now file Form 1040-X electronically with tax filing software to amend 2019 or later Forms 1040 and 1040-SR, and 2021 or later Forms 1040-NR. For more details, see our June 2022 news release on this topic.

Paper filing is still an option for Form 1040-X.

File Form 1040-X to:

  • Correct Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR (or older filings of Form 1040-A, 1040-EZ, or 1040-NR-EZ).
  • Make certain elections after the deadline.
  • Change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS.
  • Make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or unused credit.

Current Revision

Recent Developments

Other Items You May Find Useful