Changes to your personal information will affect your tax returns. You must update your information to prevent delays in processing your tax returns and refunds.

How to Change Your Address

If your address has changed, you need to notify the IRS to ensure you receive any IRS refunds or correspondence.  

For more information see, Change Your Address – How to Notify the IRS.

Update Your Name

A name change can have an impact on your taxes and delay your refund. All the names on a taxpayer's tax return must match Social Security Administration records.

Find out how to update your name, see A name change affects a tax return.

Third Party Authorization

You can grant a third-party authorization to help you with federal tax matters. The third party can be a family member or friend, a tax professional, attorney or business, depending on the authorization.

Learn how to give authorization to another person, see Power of Attorney and Other Authorizations.