IRS Logo
Print - Click this link to Print this page

Understanding Your CP01 Notice

This CP01 notice is issued to taxpayers who are victims of identity theft and have verified their identity to the IRS. It informs the taxpayer that the account will be monitored for activity and the prevention of future fraudulent impact.

What you need to do

  • No additional actions are required at this time. Please continue to file all applicable tax returns timely.

You may want to

  • Continue monitoring all your personal financial accounts.
  • Review IRS Publication 4535, Identity Theft Prevention and Victim Assistance.
  • Monitor your credit report for suspicious or unauthorized activities.

Answers to Common Questions

What effect does the Identity Theft Indicator have on my account?

The indicator assists the IRS in identifying you as the valid owner of the Social Security Number (SSN) that is shown on your tax return. The indicator has no effect on your ability to file your tax return, make payments, or receive a refund.

What happens if someone else uses my SSN to file a fraudulent tax return?

The indicator that was placed on your account will alert us to perform research to make sure that a tax return filed with your SSN is valid. If the tax return is found to be invalid, we won't process it.

How long does the indicator remain on my account??

The indicator will remain on your tax account to protect it because you were a victim of identity theft, unless you specifically request that it be removed.

Who should I contact if I have more questions about my account related to identity theft?

The Identity Theft Specialized Unit can assist you with questions regarding identity theft related to your account. You can call them at 1-800-908-4490. The number can be found on your notice. For all other tax account related questions, contact the IRS help desk at 1-800-829-1040.

Where can I find more information on preventing identity theft?

Tips for next year

File your return as you normally would. If we find someone attempting to use your SSN to file a tax return, we’ll notify you and provide you with a PIN to use when filing your return.

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 08-Feb-2017

How to get help