What this notice is about
You received this notice to remind you of the amount you owe in tax, penalty and interest.
What you need to do
- Read your notice carefully — it will explain how much money you owe on your taxes.
You may want to
- Make payment arrangements if you cannot pay the full amount you owe.
- Learn more about your payment options and how to make a payment arrangement.
Answers to common questions
Am I charged interest on the money I owe?
Yes, interest accrues on your unpaid balance until you pay it in full.
Do I receive a penalty if I cannot pay the full amount?
Yes, you receive a late payment penalty.
What happens if I cannot pay the full amount I owe?
You can arrange to make a payment plan with us if you cannot pay the full amount you owe.
How can I set up a payment plan?
Call the toll-free number listed on the top right corner of your notice to discuss payment options or learn more about payment arrangements.
Tips for next year
Consider filing your taxes electronically. Filing online can help you avoid mistakes and find credits and deductions that you may qualify for. In many cases you can file for free. Learn more about e-file
Tax publications you may find useful
- Publication 1, Your Rights as a Taxpayer
- Publication 594, The IRS Collection Process
- Notice 746, Information About Your Notice, Penalty and Interest
- Publication 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals
- Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax
- Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request
- Find a copy of any necessary tax forms and instructions
How to get help
- Call the 800, 866 or 888 number listed on the top right corner of your notice.
- Authorize someone (such as an accountant) to contact the IRS on your behalf using Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (PDF).
- See if you qualify for help from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic.